9 May 2009

A Glass With: Tim Atkin MW

For the first of our 'A Glass With' I happy to say we have Tim Atkin. Tim is one of the top wine writers about with columns in The Observer, Off Licence News, Woman and Home, The World of Fine Wine, The Economist to name just a few. He is co-founder of the excellent The Wine Gang a online wine mag. As well as his writing and the odd TV appearance he chairs and judge one of the biggest and impotent wine tasting in world the International Wine Challenge. This is what he has to say to GoJ:

Tell us what are you up to?I've just about to make some wine for a kit, for a piece I'm writing about ethical drinking for The Observer. This is my first ever wine. I suspect it may be my last...

Why wine? Because it's fascinating. Wine is not just about the liquid - although that can be delicious. It's about geology, climate, politics, economics, sensory perception and, most important of all, people.

How did you get involved in the wine world? I was given a job on Wine & Spirit magazine by Joanna Simon. I knew nothing about wine, but spoke good French having done a degree in modern languages. That was my big break. In those days we were still sticking bits of paper down on layout boards. Computers were in their infancy.

Who your wine hero? I have several. Paul Draper of Ridge, Eben Sadie in South Africa, Paul Pontallier at Chateau Margaux, Peter Lehmann in the Barossa Valley, Sylvain Cathiard in Burgundy, Tim Finn at Neudorf. Basically anyone who cares about great wine.

How much do you think you can pick up a decent bottle for? Depends what you mean by decent. It's getting harder to find anything I'd want to drink under £5, thanks to the chancellor

How do you think Internet effects the wine world? It's a great source of information. It keeps wine writers on their toes. And it allows punters a say . All three things are positive.

What is your desert island wine? 1961 Chateau La Fleur Petrus

No comments: